There are certain conditions that require the use of water-resistant boots or workboots, such as wading in streams, lakes, and oceans. However, this article is looking at the process of choosing between waterproof work boots VS water-resistant boots.
Water Resistant VS Waterproof Boots: What’s the Difference
In order to consider why you should choose waterproof work boots over water-resistant boots, there are a few things to keep in mind. When you’re looking for boots that can handle the elements, it’s important to understand the difference between water-resistant and waterproof work boots.
Water-resistant work boots will keep your feet dry when it rains or snowflakes fall on them, but they won’t protect you from water if it floods your workplace. Also, these boots will protect your feet from moisture but may not offer the same level of protection from spills or floods.
They are not as good a choice if you will be using your work boots in wet or cold conditions, as they won’t keep your feet as warm or comfortable as water-resistant boots will.
Waterproof Work Boots
Waterproof work boots are specifically designed to resist water damage in all conditions, including when it rains or snows. These work boots are definitely the best option if you plan on working in wet or snowy environments.
However, they can be a bit more expensive than traditional water-resistant boots, so it’s worth considering whether you need the extra protection. Waterproof work boots are a good choice if you want to be sure your feet are always dry and protected from spills and floods.
How do I choose the right type of boots and how to care for them?
Waterproof work boots are essential when working in wet or damp conditions. However, not all boots are waterproof. While, water-resistant boots will protect you against water droplets that fall from above, but they will not protect you against submerged water.
It is important to consider the type of environment you will be working in before choosing a waterproof work boot. If you will be working in moist environments, go for a waterproof boot. If you will be working in drier environments, choose a water resistant boot.
Choose the right boot for you which fits your foot well, is comfortable, and is sized correctly for the size of your foot. You will find that there are many boots available in half sizes, which means that you need to make sure you select one size larger than what you usually wear.
To care for your waterproof work boots, treat them the same way you would any other boot: polish them with a leather treatment once a month and keep them clean by wiping down the inside and outside of the boot with a damp cloth every time you get mud on them.
Pros and Cons of Waterproof Work Boots
Waterproof work boots offer many benefits over water-resistant footwear, including increased durability and protection from water and debris. Here are some reasons why you should choose waterproof work boots over water-resistant boots:
1. Increased Durability: Waterproof work boots are more durable than water-resistant footwear because they are designed to resist moisture and debris accumulation. This means that they will last longer and be less likely to wear down or fail due to wear and tear.
2. Protection from Water and Debris: Waterproof work boots protect your feet from water and debris intrusion, which can lead to injuries. They also keep you safe from slipping and falling on wet surfaces.
3. Greater Mobility: Waterproof work boots provide greater mobility in slippery or wet environments. They allow you to move more easily across wet surfaces, which can prevent accidents or injuries.
4. Superior Cushioning: Waterproof work boots have superior cushioning compared to water resistant footwear, which helps protect your feet against impact injuries.
Waterproof and hiking boots may not be suitable for all types of activities. So there are some cons as to why you should choose waterproof work boots over water resistant boots.
1. Hot: They can get hot and sweaty during activity, making them less comfortable to wear.
2. Weight: They can be bulky and heavy, so they may not be the best option if you’re looking for a versatile piece of gear that you can wear multiple times during the day.
3. Flexibility: They may not be as comfortable as other types of shoes when it comes to walking or hiking long distances.
How Are Waterproof Boots Tested?
Waterproof work boots are made to protect the feet and legs from water, mud, and snow. To be classified as waterproof, a boot must be able to resist a pressure of at least 1400 psi. If a boot falls below this pressure, it is not considered waterproof and may not provide the protection necessary for outdoor work. Some factors that affect how well a boot resists water are the type of leather used, the construction of the boot, and the seams.
To test a waterproof boot, manufacturers use a hydrostatic test. This test subjects a boot to a high-pressure stream of water that hits it from all directions. The boot is then measured to see how long it takes for water to seep through the seams.
Boot manufacturers also use other tests such as the durable water repellent test which measures how long it takes for water to bead up on the surface of the boot after being dropped into a container of water.
How to Clean Waterproof Work Boots?
Here are some ways to clean waterproof work boots:
1) Use boiling water: Boil a pot of water and pour it into your work boot. Let the boots soak in the water for 10 minutes, then remove them from the water and rinse them with cold water.
2) Use a vacuum cleaner: Remove the work boot laces, place it in a vacuum cleaner bag, and turn on the vacuum cleaner. The boot will be sucked up into the cleaner, which will remove any dirt and debris.
3) Use a hose: Pour clean water into your work boot and turn on the hose. Let the stream run over the top of the boot for several minutes until it has soaked through. Remove the work boot from the stream and spray it with a disinfectant.
How to Clean Water-Resistant Work Boots?
The following instructions will show you how to wash your water-resistant work boots easily.
The first thing you need to do is to fill up the bucket with cold water. Next, you will want to add one teaspoon of dishwashing liquid. Soak your booties for about ten minutes.
In order to clean the leather surface of the boot, you can use a toothbrush. After that you need to soak the shoes for about 30 minutes in boiling water, allowing them to soak for a while.
In this article, we are going to compare and contrast the two types of boots – water-resistant VS waterproof boots. You have found out why you should choose waterproof work boots over water-resistant boots advantages and disadvantages, as well as our top picks for every category.
Hopefully, after reading this article you will have a better idea of which type of boot is best for you and why.